Recycling. Why is it important?
- Recycling conserves energy and carbon by putting the packaging material back to use and avoiding the pollution caused by having to extract, mine and process new resources.
- Producing new materials requires energy, which means more emissions and more global warming. Recycling a tonne of plastic, rather than producing the same amount as new, saves a tonne of CO2 from being produced.
- Recycling keeps waste out of landfill. In England, we have less than 500,000 cubic metres of landfill space left (this is down from 715,000 in 2000).
- In landfill waste can have further environmental impacts. If waste ends up in our seas and oceans, for example, it can have a devastating impact on wildlife and marine life.
- In the UK, the average household uses 480 plastic bottles per year, but only recycles 270 of them. This needs to change.
Please recycle your packaging.
How to recycle your One
From refillable bottles to Meat Free Mondays, we make just 6 suggestions on simple lifestyle changes that you can make today to promote a healthy planet.